Food science: Experiments with Enzymes

The Wet Lab is hosting a workshop Saturday, September 16th at the La Jolla Riford Library from 3-5pm.

food-1050813__340

Enzymes are specialized molecular machines that control biological reactions in all living cells. Get to know the function of enzymes in the food we eat through hands-on experiments. This fun and informative workshop is most appropriate for ages 8-14, but curious adults are welcome as well. Limit 20 participants.

To attend, please find the event on the library events page and register there!

This event is part of the San Diego Wet Lab’s science workshop series.  Science workshops are usually held every 1st Saturday and 3rd Saturday at 3pm at the La Jolla Library. Please check the La Jolla library events page for location details and changes in the upcoming schedule.

 

 

I sleep, therefore I am

The Wet Lab is hosting a lecture by University of San Diego scientist Indrani Ganguly-Fitzgerald, PhD. The lecture will be held at the San Diego Central Library on Thursday, September 21st, from 6:30 – 7:30pm.

alarm-clock-1193291__340There is little argument that without sleep, we are functional basket cases. However, scientists are still hard at work at trying to dig at the mystery of why we NEED to sleep at all. In this lecture, we will attempt to shed light onto the function of sleep, by diving into the neuro-genetic investigations that reveal a surprising connection between sleep, waking experience, and aging brain health.

MicroRNAs: One biologist’s junk is another cell’s regulatory molecule

The Wet Lab is hosting a lecture by UCSD PhD student Julia Nussbacher. The lecture will be held at the La Jolla Riford Library on Tuesday, September 5th, from 6:30 – 7:30pm.

genetics-156404__340In the early days of exploring the human genome, scientists thought only the 2% of the genome that coded for proteins had any use. The rest was termed ‘junk’ DNA. We have since discovered that the remaining 98% performs regulatory functions that are critical for development and health. One type of regulatory element encodes tiny pieces of RNA that control thousands of proteins. Join Julia Nussbacher from UCSD to learn what high throughput sequencing and computational biology can tell us about these tiny molecules.

Personal genomics- a matter of taste

How can humans be so similar yet so different?

The Wet Lab is hosting a workshop Saturday, August 19th, at the La Jolla Riford Library from 3-5pm.

dna-296744__340

99.9% of the human genome is identical among individuals. The other 0.1% makes us biologically unique. Sometimes the difference between two traits can be traced to a single chemical change in our DNA. In this hands-on workshop we will explore the genetics of perception and test our own DNA for a bitter taste receptor. Recommended for ages 14-adult.

To attend, please find the event on the library events page and register there!

This event is part of the San Diego Wet Lab’s science workshop series.  Science workshops are usually held every 1st Saturday and 3rd Saturday at 3pm at the La Jolla Library. Please check the La Jolla library events page for location details and changes in the upcoming schedule.

Under the Sea and the ‘Scope

Interested in learning about sea urchins and sea stars while looking at live ones under a microscope? The Wet Lab is hosting a workshop Saturday, August 5th, at the La Jolla Riford Library from 3-5pm.

sea-urchin-1504417__340

Ever wondered how the creatures you see in the tide pool come into being? Join us for an exploratory look at sea urchin development, hosted by scientists from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography: You’ll get to handle live sea stars and urchins, observe fertilization and development under the microscope, and learn about the research activities at SIO!

To attend, please find the event on the library events page and register there!

This event is part of the San Diego Wet Lab’s science workshop series.  Science workshops are usually held every 1st Saturday and 3rd Saturday at 3pm at the La Jolla Library. Please check the La Jolla library events page for location details and changes in the upcoming schedule.

Shooting stars from Mars – solving the mystery with oxygen isotope forensics

The Wet Lab is hosting a lecture by scientist Robina Shaheen, PhD, from the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at UCSD. The lecture will be at the La Jolla Riford Library on Tuesday, August 1st, from 6:30pm – 7:30pm.

mars-2051747__340

Dr. Robina Shaheen is using chemistry to investigate one of the biggest mysteries of nature- the origin and history of the Red Planet. Learn how oxygen triple isotope forensics can tell the story of two famous meteorites from Mars, “ALH84001”, once thought to carry relics of life, and “Black Beauty -NWA7034”, an oldest rock from Mars.

 

Parkin: The Difference Between Success and Heart Failure

The Wet Lab is hosting a lecture by UCSD Biomedical Sciences PhD student Sarah Shires on the connection between Parkinson’s and heart disease. The lecture will be at the La Jolla Riford Library on Tuesday, July 11th, from 6:30pm – 7:30pm.  human-heart-1700453_960_720

What do your brain and your heart have in common? One cause of both neurodegenerative disease and heart disease is the accumulation of “cellular trash”. Parkin is one of several proteins mutated in patients with Parkinson’s Disease. Parkin is important in taking out and recycling cellular trash. While Parkin is found at higher levels in patients with heart disease, we still don’t know if this is helpful or harmful. I study how changes in Parkin affect the heart, and hope to eventually target Parkin to treat heart disease.

 

Exploring Artificial Colors in Food

The Wet Lab is hosting an artificial coloring workshop on Saturday, July 15th, at the La Jolla Riford Library from 3-5pm.

gummi-bears-8467_960_720

Have you ever wondered what chemicals give candies their bright colors? In this hands-on workshop you will learn how scientists determine the composition of complex mixtures while analyzing the colored dyes extracted from candies. Please join us for a fun and colorful experience! Recommended for ages 10-16, limit 20 participants. To attend, please find the event on the library events page and register there!

This event is part of the San Diego Wet Lab’s science workshop series.  Science workshops are usually held every 1st Saturday and 3rd Saturday at 3pm at the La Jolla Library. Please check the La Jolla library events page for location details and changes in the upcoming schedule.

Exploring Bacterial Diversity

The Wet Lab is hosting a microbial diversity workshop on Saturday June 17th at the La Jolla Riford Library from 3-5pm.

The most abundant and diverse organisms on the planet are the tiny microbes we cannot see. In this workshop you will learn the tools and techniques for exploring the bacterial diversity around you- safely. Participants will prepare and inoculate agar plates, view bacteria under the microscope, and learn how bacteria are identified using DNA. Bring a laptop if you have one, we have a limited number of laptops for participants to use.  To attend, please register on the library events page.

This event is part of the San Diego Wet Lab’s science workshop series.  Science workshops are usually held every 1st Saturday and 3rd Saturday at 3pm at the La Jolla Library. Please check the La Jolla library events page for location details and changes in the upcoming schedule.

The American Gut Project: Crowdsourcing Human Microbiome Research

The Wet Lab is hosting a lecture on environmental DNA at the San Diego Central Library on Thursday, June 15th, from 6:30pm – 7:30pm. Justine Debelius from UCSD will discuss how scientists are working to understand the importance of the microbes living in the human gut!

bacteria-1832824__340

The American Gut Project is the world’s largest crowdfunded citizen science research project, with the goal of creating a comprehensive map of the human microbiome-including the identification of all of the “bad” and “good” areas. This maps can be used by researchers and clinicians as a springboard for further studies to determine how to move people from the bad to the good areas. Come hear about how American Gut data is being used to meet this goal!

This event is part of the San Diego Wetlab’s citizen science lecture series held every first Tuesday at 6:30pm at the La Jolla Library and every third Thursday at 6:30pm at the Downtown Library. Please check the San Diego library system events page for location details and changes in the upcoming schedule.